A brief introduction to Honey:
(Clover Honey )People have been using honey for ages. Its benefits are globally accepted. Honey is a golden, viscous syrup produced by honeybees and widely used as a sweetener, replacing artificial sweeteners, but also its uses in medicine and skincare products are well renowned. Honey has been used as food for above 6000 years. Honey is a natural sweetener, mainly composed of fructose and glucose, with vitamins B and vitamin C, folate, niacin, water, and is a rich source of various minerals, like potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, zinc, etc.
Different types of honey
There are above 300 different types of honey. These can be raw or pasteurized, uni-floral, or multi-floral. Each type of honey has varied composition and biochemical properties and varies in color and sweetness depending on the source, temperature, rainfall level, and processing methods.
One of the most trending types is Clover honey.
What is clover honey?
Clover honey, as the name describes, is derived from the nectar of clover (Trefoil) plants. Among different types of clover plants (crimson clover, Dutch clover, Alsike clover), Alsike clover plants are considered the best plants for honey bees in North America, especially in cool moist areas like the Pacific Northwest.
Different types of clover
What is the best clover to harvest for honey production?
Honeybees are naturally attracted to clover plants. Clover is inexpensive to maintain and a great attraction for honeybees. Clover flowers are highly attractive for honeybees and clover honey is a common secondary product of clover cultivation. The best clovers for honey bees are white clover and Alsike clover since their florets are small and easy to approach. Alsike clover is among the best honey plants in the United States. Beekeepers generally place the hives in areas with many clover plants for clover honey production. They also plant clovers around beehives so that the bees can have them as their food. Approximately, an acre of Alsike Clover produces around 500 pounds of honey. 16
Canada, New Zealand, and the United States are the world-leading clover honey producers.
Benefits of Clover Honey:
It is light-colored, mild in taste, and becoming a trending healthy natural sweetener, replacing artificial white sugar. It has a pleasing milder flavor and a grassy floral scent.
There are numerous benefits of this honey.some are listed below.
- A mixture of Honey and Clove works wonders for the body. As per Ayurveda, this combination will fire up digestion, enhance immunity & body metabolism to burn fat, and keep you fit and healthy.
- It is considered antiviral and antibacterial and is also rich in anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- Consists of many different vitamins and minerals, including zinc, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
- It regulates blood pressure (if used in moderate quantity)
- It is a healthy and natural alternative to table sugar
- Acts as a natural moisturizer for dry and dull skin
- It has super healing properties, for treating burns and wounds.
- It is acclaimed for its capability to remove bad cholesterol
- It is considered to be the best home remedy to treat cough and cold, especially in children and old age people.
- The study concluded that clover honey has the strongest antibacterial properties.
- Ideal to use in cooking and baking as a sugar alternative due to its mild flavor.
- It adds enormous medicinal value to honey making it an ideal choice for everyday use.
Nutrition Facts of Clover Honey:
How to Recognize Clover Honey?
It can be differentiated from other types from its taste and color. It has a subtle flavor and a grassy floral scent. The honey derived from bees purely fed on clover plants is almost white. Unless the label claims that the honey is “pure clover”, one should know that clover is not purely a primary only source of nectar but it only contributes to the flavor. Moreover, two different bottles of this honey, including those from the same farm or manufacturer, are likely to have a different taste depending on the process of extraction, temperature, and time of the year it is extracted.
Is Clover Honey Pure?
It can be both raw and regular.
Now, if it is raw, it means it has reached you without undergoing any process.
On the other hand, Regular it is pasteurized and may contain some added sugar and preservatives too.
Side effects of Clover Honey:
Although having a lot of benefits, It might have some side effects too.
- Food poisoning. Raw honey or unpasteurized honey may result in food poisoning as it contains pollens, bee wings, propolis, and honeycomb particles, which may trigger our digestive system.
- Abdominal discomfort
- Botulism(in infants)
- Increased blood sugar level
- Allergic reaction( from pollens in raw honey)
- Weight gain
- Tooth decay
- Infection. Honey should be avoided by people with weak immunity as it increases the risk of bacterial and fungal infection.
Regardless of so many benefits of honey, still it should be consumed in moderation. Consuming large quantities of honey may result in weight gain and tooth decay(as honey is sugar-based, fructose and sucrose mainly).
Clover Honey Production and Market Analysis:
Its global market has been expanding with a sizable growth rate and simultaneously uplifting global economic development.
Its global market is expected to strongly dominate the global economy with a substantial growth rate in the coming years.
Study of major segments of the its global industry:
Food & Beverage,
The global Clover Honey market size is projected to reach USD million by 2026, from USD million in 2020, at a CAGR of during 2021-2026.
It is available in the market in different forms in a jar and squeeze bottles, maybe in the form of creamed honey(used as a spread), or packed with honeycomb. Yogurt with honey addition
(as a natural sweetener) is also available in the market.
Written by: Uzma Arshad
5 thoughts on “Clover Honey”
generic cialis india free samples viagra cialis the effects that viagra and cialis have on women