What is a liquid facelift?
A liquid facelift is the latest technique of facelift where dermal fillers are used instead of surgery to overcome the effects of aging on the face.
What is a facelift?
Facelift (rhytidectomy) is a cosmetic surgical technique used to reduce the effect of aging. It results in a younger appearance on the face. The process helps in reducing the fold and sagging of the skin on the cheeks, chin, and jawline that change the shape of the face. A facelift is also done along with a neck lift (platysmaplasty). In neck lift, the sagging skin of the neck is reduced.
How does a liquid facelift work?
The connective tissue such as elastin and collagen break with age. The fats in the skin are also reduced. The fillers in liquid facelift plump up the skin and reduce the effects of aging. A liquid facelift is a technique of facelift in which dermal injections are used. The injections or filler plump up the skin of the face, thereby reducing sagging and wrinkles on the face. After the treatment, the contour of youthful skin is retained. Along with this, the excessive skin on the face is also removed.
Procedure for liquid facelift:
At the beginning of the process, the dermatologist provides a local anesthetic to numb the area that will be injected into a liquid facelift. After this, the dermatologist injects it onto the face. The injections can sting a little as to the American Academy of Dermatologists. All the injections are given in one session. The process lasts for 15 to 30 minutes.
Targeted areas of face in liquid facelift:
There are some areas on the face that are being targeted by the dermatologist during a liquid facelift. These include;
- Under the eyes
- The cheecks
- Near the eyebrows
- The jowls
- Around scars
- The temples Fold between the nose and mouth
What are the changes that appear after liquid facelift?
After a liquid facelift, skin appears younger as;
- Liquid facelift reduces the sagging appearance of cheeks.
- It helps in reducing excessive skin on the lower jawline of the face.
- The technique is helpful in reducing excessive fats on the face and neck.
- It also helps in deepening the folds of skin from the side of nose to the corner of mouth.
- It plumps up the lips.
- It reduces the hollow areas around the eyes.
- It reduces the appearance of scars
- It also fills the cheeks.
- It adds volume to the brows
- The effects of liquid uplift remain for 6 to 24 months.
Type of dermal fillers:
Following are the types of dermal fillers that are used in liquid facelift:
It is the most common type of filler used in a liquid facelift. Its effect lasts roughly eight months. These dermal fillers are completely reversible
These dermal fillers are nonreversible. They last for 12 to 16 months. Poly-L-lactic acid: This type of filler stimulates collagen production. These fillers last up to two years
Collagen or fat:
This is also called soft tissue augmentation. It is a temporary treatment for correcting wrinkles and scars. It lasts for 3 to 12 months.
This treatment uses the patient’s own tissue.
What liquid facelift could not do?
Through liquid facelift, one cannot get rid of superficial skin, skin damaged by ultraviolet rays, skin pigmentation, and creases around the nose and upper lips. Similarly, it could not reduce fine creases on the skin. It is simply a technique that tightens and refreshes skin by making amendments with the elastin and collagen connective tissues of the face but does not provide a solution to skin problems such as acne and severe scars etc.
Risks associated with liquid facelift:
There are also risks that are associated with the cosmetic technique of facelift. The surgery can cause complications in sensitive skin that can be long-term or permanent.
Following are the negative effects of a facelift.
- It can cause collection of blood also known as hematoma under skin, that can cause infection and swelling on the face.
- It can cause injury of nerves that control sensation and muscles. This can in turn cause uneven face appearance.
- It can cause allergic reactions The risk of bacterial infections through needle puncture is also associated with liquid facelift If fillers enter the blood vessels in the injected areas of the face, skin necrosis can occur.
- Some swelling, redness, and pain can normally occur after the treatment.
What should one do before liquid facial uplift?
Before the treatment, one should discuss the medical history oneself with the concerned doctor. Skin tests are also indispensable before this cosmetic surgery. In addition to this, all the prescribed measures by the doctor must be properly observed.
What should one do after a liquid facial uplift?
After the treatment, one should apply icing on the face to reduce swelling. In addition to this, one should avoid going outside in the Sun.
Moreover one has to take the following measures after a liquid facelift:
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid taking stress
- Avoid sun
- Take proper sleep
Cost of liquid facelift:
A liquid facelift is less costly than compared to a surgical one. But its cost vary depending on different factors such as:
- How many have planned for a liquid facelift?
- Which types of dermal fillers one wants to inject?
- Which type of doctor or dermatologist one has been consulting?
It can be said that the higher the quality of liquid facelift, the higher will be the cost.
Advantages of liquid facelift over surgical facelift.
A liquid facelift is better than a surgical one in various aspects are;
- Liquid facelift is less costly as compared to surgical facelift.
- The risk factors associated with liquid facelift are less as compared to surgical facelift.
- Liquid facelift is less time consuming.
- Liquid facelift causes less pain than the surgical one.
- Recovery time after liquid facelift is less as compared to surgical facelift.
- Liquid facelift provides youthful appearance without any surgery.
My opinion on liquid facelift:
A liquid facelift is a cosmetic surgical technique. It is used to reduce the effect of aging. It is a need of time. But before going for facial uplift, one should consult with a qualified dermatologist. As there are risk factors associated with a liquid facelift. To avoid any kind of risk, people with sensitive skin ought to avoid the treatment. As far as people with normal skin are concerned they must practice all the prescribed measures by their concerned doctors. One most important thing is that one should not compromise on the quality of the treatment. If we talk about the comparison of a liquid facelift with other cosmetic surgery techniques, it is helpful only for one kind of facial problem which is loose and wrinkled skin.
In a nutshell, a liquid facelift is an anti-aging technique. It has both pros and cons like other cosmetic surgical techniques. One should take proper care before going for treatment to avoid all the associated risks.