(Ocular Migraine Without Headache Treatment) Ocular migraine causes loss of vision for a very short span of time. This can occur pre-migraine or during a migraine attack. When a migraine hits you on regular basis it can develop a vision problem that is called aura in medical terms. This aura contains sudden lights and blind spots. This aura will occur in both eyes at the same time. Ocular migraine is also called by the following names in medical terms:
Ocular Migraine Symptoms:
- Sensitivity to sound or light
- Headache that can last several hours
- The headache feels worse when you try to move
- The headache is very severe
- The headache is throbbing and pulsating
- The headache might be on one side of the head
- Numbing or tingling in hands or face
- Speech changes
Ocular migraine can happen without severe head pain and vomiting or nausea. It is a silent migraine without pain symptoms. But the aura is present in this type of pain and can be present in one or both eyes(Ocular Migraine Without Headache Treatment).
Cause of Ocular Migraine:
- Irregular electrical brain activity
- Certain foods
- Flashing lights
- Weather changes
- Aging in women
- Changes in retina nerve cells
- Involuntary muscle contraction in retina blood vessels
- Imbalance in hormones level
Always consult your doctor even if the condition goes away because this type of migraine can cause complete vision loss in one or both eyes(Ocular Migraine Without Headache Treatment).
ocular migraine without headache treatment:
When you consult your doctor, he or she may prescribe the following drugs:
- Medicines that control blood pressure like metoprolol or Inderal. Calcium channel blockers like nicardipine and verapamil can be prescribed.
- Antidepressants that are tricyclic like nortriptyline, venlafaxine, amitriptyline
- Epilepsy medicines like topiramate, and valproic acid.
- CGRP inhibitors can also be prescribed like eptinezumab, fremanezumab, galcanezumab, erenumab.
Battery-powered devices are also available that you can apply to your neck. These devices send electrical impulses to the brain which helps in stopping the migraine. You can find the such device in the name of GammaCore.
Another FDA-approved non-invasive single-pulse Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is the sTMS device. It is also a battery-powered device. It helps in treatment as well as a preventive device for migraine treatment. It usually requires a prescription for the doctor. You can use this device at the back of the head to the base of the skull and then push the button. It transmits a strong magnetic pulse to the brain. Then this device creates a magnetic field and these magnetic fields interrupt abnormal electrical activity that causes migraine in the brain area.
If aura occurs and you see flashing lights or have vision problems just rest your eyes until the condition gets normal.
You can also follow these steps to ease symptoms:
- Put pressure on the scalp and massage
- Sit in a quiet and dark room
- Put light pressure on your temple area
- Put a damp towel on the affected area
Always consult your doctor for medicine prescriptions for ocular migraine. If there is a vision problem only in one eye it could be dangerous and associated with some other serious medical illness so if this happens to go to the nearby doctor and have a thorough checkup(Ocular Migraine Without Headache Treatment).