What is a weak chin?
A weak chin is also called a weak jaw. It is neither a disease nor a disorder. A weak chin means that the jawline is not well-defined. A weak chin means that s chin or jaw may have a soft, rounded angle.
The term weak chin is also called the ad a receding chin, wherein the chin curves back toward the neck.
If one has a weak chin, one does not have to worry about it. Because there is nothing wrong with having a weak jawline. A weak chin does not affect one’s ability to eat, talk, or smile.
A weak chin can be present in both males and females. For men, a weak chin can cause a less masculine appearance. On the other hand, in women, a weak chin can cause the nose to appear too large. With a weak chin, one looks as if one is overweight. In both genders, a weak chin affects facial proportions.
Is a weak chin attractive?
In general, chiseled jaws and strong chins have a more masculine appearance and are considered universally attractive. But according to a new study, all facial features are attractive including a weak chin. There are many celebrities that have weak chins. A weak chin has nothing to do with one’s success.
What is the possible cause of a weak chin?
A weak chin can have the following causes:
- Genetics- The physical features are influenced by genetics. These also include the shape and structure of a jaw. That’s why a weak chin can be owing to genetics.
- Aging- It is also a reason for a weak chin. When one gets older, the angle of one’s jaw gets increases. Resultantly, the definition in the lower portion of a face gets reduced. In addition to this, aging also reduces the volume of the jawbone. This is how aging is a cause of a weak chin.
- Thumb-sucking- It also results in a weak chin. Commonly, it is a habit of young children to suck their thumbs. The continuation of this habit results in the change of shape of the jawline. Sucking changes the position of the teeth’s thereby altering the jawline
- Overbite- An overbite means the overlapping of the bottom front teeth by the top front teeth. It can result in the positioning of the lower too far back, causing a weak chin.
- Eating soft foods- The shape of a jaw is affected by the eating habits of childhood. If children eat mostly soft foods while growing up, they might have a weak jaw. On the other hand, eating hard foods puts a mechanical load on jaws while chewing, and shapes a jawline, thereby avoiding a weak chin.
Exercises to change a weak chin:
Following are the exercises to change a weak chin
- Mewing In this exercise, the tongue is flattened against the top of a mouth. Mewing is said to be to change the structure of a face and a jaw, thereby reducing a weak chin.
- Jawzrsize- Jawzrsize is an exercise tool. It is a silicone ball used as a fitness tool. In the exercise, one had to bite down on the ball to work out one’s jaw.
- Facial massage- Facial massage is also helpful in reshaping the jawline. The facial is done with fingers or a special message tool.
The surgical procedure to get rid of a weak chin:
Following surgical procedures are used to alter a weak chin into the strong chin
Dermal fillers and Botox-
Dermal fillers are soft gels injections. They are injected beneath the skin. Dermal fillers are made of natural or synthetic substances. These help in enhancing the appearance of the bony edge.
Another surgical technique is Botox injection. In this surgical process, Botulinum toxin is injected into the muscles in a jaw. This creates a defined “V” shape face edges.
The results of Dermal fillers and Botox are not permanent. The effects of Dermal fillers last 12 to 18 months, while that of Botox lasts 3 to 4 months.
Liposuction is a surgical operation in which fat is removed from the chin, neck, and jaw. This helps in increasing the definition of a jaw. By this, a weak chin is removed permanently.
During a neck lift, the skin in your neck is lifted upward. This helps in contouring and tightenings of the skin, muscle, and fat of the face.
Chin augmentation is a surgical process in which an implant is placed in a chin. It increases its definition. The implant is made of a synthetic substance.
Fat grafting is an alternative surgical technique to augmenting without using implants. In this surgery, fat from another body part is removed and placed on a face.
Thread lifts are temporary sutures that are sewn in the skin to tighten loose skin and define the jawline. It lasts 6 to 12 months.
Other techniques to reduce a weak chin
A weak chin can also be reduced by following techniques
- Grow a beard and trim it in a new way
- Wear makeup with certain techniques to help in reducing A weak chin. For example, the application of bronzer along the jaw and cheeks contours the jawline. Highlighter can also be added to enhance certain areas.
- Losing some neck fat helps in enhancing the jawline.
- Weight loss also helps in this regard.
- A healthy lifestyle is also helpful. For example,
- Eat a diet rich in nutrients.
- Avoid or limit processed and refined sugars.
- Eat whole grains
- Practice portion control.
- Get regular exercise
- Get enough sleep
The bottom line:
To cap it all, a weak chin is not a problematic thing. It is the shape of a jawline. In a weak chin, the jawline is not well defined. The jawline can be defined by exercises, surgical processes, and healthy lifestyles.
Many people have weak chins in the world. This shape of the face has nothing to do with health and success. In modern research, a weak chin is as attractive as a strong chin.